Saturday, August 22, 2009

When Being Late is a Good Thing

The book, she is late. Very late. Deadlines long since whooshed past (real life intervened, and I have a terrible tendency to underestimate how long it takes me to do things, especially when it comes to non-job time). I keep plugging away at it, though... I need to get it done to Get. It. Done. and move on. Worst case: if my current publisher decides they don't want it after all, I will have a completed thing to shop around.

Anyway... my point. In the process of being late, I've come across recent publications that will inform bits of the book in very big ways. In one case, a book that will make an excellent hook on which to hang my "why" chapter was published just last year. In another case, a specific case study in a volume of economic/consumer history published several years ago that, had I not found it, would have left me Very. Embarrassed. There are also an increasing number of dissertations and theses dealing with the same topic as I am; mostly tangentially or in a small area, sometimes on a larger scale. I really need to get on the stick and finish before I am scooped; but it sure is helpful to have this other information.

No comments: