Friday, April 2, 2010

Purging...

In a continuing effort to purge my life of overburden and to give myself some room to grow, I will be spending several hours this weekend purging. I currently have two 2-drawer filing cabinets. By the end of the weekend, I want there to be only one.

The nice thing is, as an adjunct, I have access to online databases like JSTOR, so I can grab digital copies of papers. My net loss of information will be zero. Well, except for the WTF-Am-I-Doing-With-This stuff, which I shouldn't have anyway. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I really don't need stuff on papermaking or the epidemiology of AIDS.

I just need to remember to purge the stuff I'm ditching from my database.

4 comments:

Digger said...

Progress!

- One filing cabinet empty. Once I clear off the top, it's OUTTA HERE!
- Posted one giant stack of slightly-used file folders to Freecycle
- Posted one stack of books to Freecycle
- Posting another stack of books to Ebay

Anonymous said...

I *heart* JSTOR.

Tis the best

Belle said...

Oh yeah, I need to do this again. And again. And again.

Last year, I managed to get rid of the entire file cabinet in my campus office. What I kept amounted to less than a paper box... which I haven't consulted once in the past 9 months. It too can go. Now.

Digger said...

Belle, I'm using that philosophy as I get rid of more and more of the most obvious stuff. There are things in storage I haven't even thought about in years. I'll save some mementos, the rest will go bye-bye.

Last weekend, the carpet went away from my room. And another stack of books!

Folks: Freecycle ROCKS. Books, empty file folders, craft supplies, furniture has all found new homes instead of a landfill.
http://www.freecycle.org/