Saturday, July 25, 2009

Looking into the Past: Photos by Jason Powell



These are two of a series of photos by Jason Powell in which he prints out old photographs and manually overlays them on existing conditions and takes a photo (go, go look at the larger versions via the link. They're worth it! Just come back, 'kay?). I've done some digital overlays in researching sites, and those are often a pain to line up, so I'm very impressed that Jason does his overlays manually, and in the field.

I love the time-travel aspect of these photographs, like you could step right into the past. I love the sense these give that history is something you can touch, experience, and interact with. It isn't just static words in a textbook, it's all around us. And that the histories of people and places are intertwined.

I wonder if I could get away with this in an archaeology report?

Hat tip to Book of Joe.

No comments: