Thursday, December 31, 2009

Scenery and History

View of Cayuga Lake, taken near the Taughannock Falls Overlook, December 29.


I am home from the Great White North (which I cannot type without thinking of Bob and Doug McKenzie (those tuque-wearing hosers!) and hearing the theme song in my head...). I stopped, both on the way up and on the way back, at one of my favorite places, Taughannock Falls near Ithaca. What a difference a few days makes! For other pix of the falls posted on the blog, clicky here and here (it might just need it's own label...).

Taughannock Falls, December 24th. The rime really was blue.


Taughannock Falls, December 29. Misty!


Ice Flow, December 29.


Ice Falls, December 29


I also have two drunken photos of one of the last hand-operated elevators (and perhaps the first to be electrified) in the City of Toronto. The photos are not drunken, but I pretty much was. Yay for old friends, wine, and walking to the bar so no-one had to drive. Boo for digital cameras that don't compensate for inebriated users.

The Elevator at the Gladstone, December 28.


Elevator controls, Gladstone Hotel, December 28.

The elevator is even cooler than it looks; the ironwork is really amazing (hand-wrought, twisted, and in a basket-weave, with embellishments). We got a ride in it, which was a treat! To visit it, hit the Gladstone on Queen Street West. And don't forget to check out the very cool gargoyles on the exterior of the building. They have great food, too... including poutine. Alas, the kitchen was closed, so we didn't get to enjoy.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

Gorgeous photos! I've never been to the falls in the winter time.

Digger said...

Thanks, Jo(e)!

Kevin said...

I'm a lurker who grew up in Ithaca, so I have to say I have loved coming across your photos of Taughannock and the area!

Digger said...

Welcome, Kevin. Thanks for your comment. I think next time I'm in the area I might have to hop the ridge, and check out Seneca Lake.